Colocation is one of the several options that you have if you want to outsource your computing needs. A lot of businesses in Malaysia have switched to colocation because of the many benefits it offers. In a colocation setup, you own the server equipment, but it will be hosted by the colocation provider in one of their server centers.
The center also provides the necessary power, ping, pipe, and rack. Here are some of the reasons why you should seriously consider colocation for your server requirements:
- Less IT infrastructure and management costs
Running your own IT infrastructure can be very expensive and time-consuming. If you outsource the responsibilities to a colocation provider, you are going to save a lot of time and money.
- More reliable with better uptime rate
The success of your business largely depends on the reliability of your network. If your server goes down too many times, your business will suffer. You don’t have to worry about this problem if your servers are hosted in a reliable colocation center.
- Better security and data protection
Colocation centers often use several levels of security measures to ensure that hackers can’t get inside the network. These measures include protection for both the server hardware and the programs/software that run them. Some centers even use biometric security systems, cage and cabinet locks, and camera surveillance.
- It’s easier to scale your server
Downgrading or upgrading the capacity of your server is just one call away. The update can be finished within minutes. This feature is very important in instances wherein your website’s traffic suddenly goes up. You will need more space for the spike in traffic.
In conclusion, you have a lot to gain if you choose colocation for your server and computing needs. When searching for a company that offers web hosting in Malaysia, you should find one that also offers colocation as an additional service. This way, your hosting and servers will be handled by the same company. This will save you a lot of time and money.
As an entrepreneur, the success of your business is your priority. Many concerns have to be taken into consideration like the workplace itself, employees, and especially business guidelines and procedures.
Business direction and procedures are one of the most vital concerns that need to be addressed as this will define the overall workflow of your business. In implementing them, business owners need to establish an excellent communication system. Making sure that every employee understands the protocols and guidelines is the turning point to run a business smoothly and efficiently.
If you are looking for simple ways to begin streamlining communication system, you may want to consider the following tools:
- Google Hangout
- Google Hangout is a chat software by Google. Best used by business owners, Google Hangout has many features such as instant message and video call and conference. If you are a business owner who has clients based overseas, you may be able to utilize this as well, as their video calls are free, provided that the other party is also a Google Hangout user. But its use is not limited to the executives only. In fact, using a chat software for the employees to interact quickly could result in a stronger camaraderie among them.
- Google Drive
- Google Drive is a cloud-based storage that offers a large capacity and has all the right features to keep all the data of your company safe. It also enables file sharing so you can instantly share folders and documents with the whole organization. What’s more, you can also invite particular employees to edit the shared files. Providing a shared server to allow sharing among your employees as well as to store files would make workflow a bliss.
- G Suite by Google Cloud
- This tool will help your business through features such as customized e-mail domain, instant compatibility with a wide array of interfaces, spam protection, and security. As early as the beginning of your business, it would be best to have one common email where your clients and other business partners may send their concerns. This builds an impression that the customer is consistently taken care of with immediate assistance provided via the designated email address. This particular service may be made available through the G Suite by Google Cloud. The system also has features such as automatic reply or notification, allowing you to know any pending request that has not been resolved yet within a given time.
Having a good communication line within your own business is one of the keys to the success of your business. If you wish to look for other options other than what we have mentioned above, you can choose from many of the Google Apps for work. As well as being widely available, they can also be tailor-fitted to your needs and preferences.
If you are managing a website, whether for personal reasons or business purposes, it’s highly recommended that you avail of an email hosting service. The service will serve as your official channel for communicating with customers, visitors, and business partners. Now, not all email services are the same. The features and functions you get will depend on the hosting company you hire. With that said, below are some of the most important factors you must take into account when looking for an email hosting company.
- Archiving and storage – In this age wherein you get dozens of messages in a single day, it’s important that there’s a system in place to sort out the messages based on categories. For example, critical messages should be highlighted so that these are the ones you read first. You should also be able to create inboxes depending on the sources of the messages.
- Security – Hackers and spammers often target weak email systems to hack into websites and steal data and other essential information. You can minimize this risk by getting the services of a company that offers a secure and updated email system.
- Administration and ease of use – You should have complete control over your emails. You should have the freedom to configure features and functions based on your preferences. The system must also be easy to use so that anyone in your business can access and manage the emails.
- Flexibility – This means that you can upgrade your account whenever you want. This is particularly the case if you only have access to a limited set of features and functions.
It’s paramount that you get in touch with a representative of the company so that you can verify the kind of services to get when you strike a deal with them. When you contact an email hosting service, don’t forget to ask for a complete overview of the features and functions that they are offering. The more you understand what you are getting yourself into, the better it will be for you and your business. Having an efficient email system is very instrumental to success when it comes to running online businesses.
Getting a virtual private server (VPS) is an option you should explore if you want more control over your server. In the simplest of terms, VPS is a combination of shared hosting and dedicated hosting. This means you get the perks and benefits of both types of hosting. VPS hosting mimics a dedicated server, but it’s within the bounds of a shared hosting environment. It’s advisable that you learn more on virtual private servers before you avail of the service. In finding the right service provider, you should take into account the following factors:
- Managed vs. Unmanaged – When the whole virtual server is handed over to you, somebody has to be responsible for looking after its performance. If you don’t want to take the responsibility, then you should opt for a managed VPS hosting. The provider will look after and monitor your server. If you know the ins and outs of server management and you want to take responsibility for your server, then you should choose an unmanaged VPS hosting. It’s also worth mentioning here that unmanaged VPS hosting is quite cheaper.
- Redundancy and scalability – These are two important features that you should take seriously. Redundancy refers to the availability of backup plans and resources. For instance, if the main power supply of the servers is cut off, there should be generators in standby to make sure that the servers continue to operate. On the other hand, scalability means that you can quickly increase your server’s capacity on a short notice.
- Windows vs. Linux – You will get to choose whether your VPS will operate with a Linux or a Windows operating system. Each of these systems has its pros and cons. It’s advisable that you consult with an IT technician to provide you with an overview of these two operating systems.
- Hardware – The obvious question you need to ask is this: Does the hosting provider have updated IT infrastructure? If they have state-of-the-art hardware, this means that their servers are efficient and secure.
In conclusion, getting a virtual private server is a good idea because of its dynamic performance, dedicated resources, and of course flexibility. But you can only get these if you hire a reliable hosting company. The company should be able to deliver its part of the deal. You can determine if the company is up to the job by looking into their services using the factors discussed above as your comparison points.
Like entrepreneurs, freelancers face many challenges. You have to learn how to work more efficiently, manage time effectively, and deal with clients. There are a few more challenges that could overwhelm you along the way. You, as a freelancer living in a digitally powered world, should not be stressed by these stumbling blocks because you are equipped with all the tools you need to get things done. Listed below are 5 of the best apps and online workspaces made especially for online workers like you.
- Chrome For Work: designed for organizations, Chrome For Work is highly recommended for IT teams. This modern web browser makes it easy for companies to deploy and manage. It promises security technologies that could protect your organization from malware and viruses.
- Slack: comes in free and paid version, this collaboration software gathers the team in one place. It lets you manage documents, message or chat with team members, brainstorm, and conduct audio and video conferences.
- FocusWriter: freelance writing is a booming industry. People write emails and social media posts regularly. We write every time. Writing alone provides a number of sub-niches that will match your skill. For example, you can use your knowledge in business by applying it as a corporate copywriter. Or if you have the penchant for writing descriptive paragraphs, you could work as a catalog description writer. Whatever sub-niche you choose, it boils down to one thing: you have to be able to concentrate on becoming a great writer. This distraction-free word processor is perfect for writers regardless of their chosen niche.
- Site Block: admit it, it’s hard to resist the temptation of checking Facebook or Twitter every now and then. “Okay, maybe just five minutes will do?” But those five minutes could eventually sum up in an hour or more in a day. If you are this type of person who finds it hard to avoid visiting other sites during work hours, help yourself by installing an extension like this.
- Hootsuite: this social media management tool saves you time promoting your work and also allows you to collaborate with others. You can use the tool’s web-based dashboard to execute a campaign for your business. It comes with analytics tool and engagement tool as well, which you will find helpful when you are a freelancer.
Have you used any of these apps? If you have suggestions, feel free to share them here. Successful freelancing is possible with a few hacks and apps. Let’s end this post with some golden rules to live by. Work harder, smarter, and better. May these apps help you achieve your goals in your freelance career!